Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Brain


When I was younger, I was asked to read and sound out words I had no idea how to say. When I would tell my teacher in the classroom that I didn't know the words, she would make me say the same sentence over and over again in front of the whole class. It was very embarrassing. I was then sent to a class called “Reading Intervention". I was so relieved to be sent to my reading intervention class at 10:30 every morning; the other kids didn’t have to go. I was really frustrated at first. I always wondered why I couldn’t read as well as the other students; how come my brain isn't processing this faster than the others? I realized that as time went on I started reading big words. Some words were so big the other kids didn’t know how to say them. When the teacher would ask me to read in class I wasn’t embarrassed. I had been taught how to focus on the words and then sound them out before I say it, and that helped me a lot.

Researchers found that from 3 to 6 years of age, the most rapid growth takes place in the frontal lobe areas involved in planning and organizing new actions, and in maintaining attention to tasks. They have discovered that from age 6 through puberty, the most growth takes place in the temporal and parietal lobes, especially areas that play major roles in language and spatial relations.Children Tenth Edition pg. 253

No comments:

Post a Comment