Friday, April 16, 2010

(Cognitive Development) Piaget's Pre-operational Stage and Vygotsky's Theory


The pre-operational stage is Piaget's second theory. It lasts from approximately 2 to 7 years of age. In this stage, children look at the world with words, images, and drawings. This world is also dominated by imagination. This stage is different because before children could only do things physically, and now they do things mentally. This stage can be divided into two different substages. These stages are symbolic functions and intuitive thought stages. When I was a child I would use my imagination when I would "play school" by myself and I would act like I was talking to a classroom of students. Vygotskys Theory is like Piagets but Vygotsky's is a social structivist approach, which emphasizes the social contexts of learning and the construction of knowledge through social interaction. Our focus shifts from individual to collaboration, social interaction, and sociocultural activity with Vygotskys theory. Children construct knowledge through social interaction, for Vygotsky. This remindes me when I was a child and I started talking more with other children. I was more independent on my own and able to talk to other kids rather then just my sisters and brothers. Also my imagination "playing school" wasn't that important to me anymore because I started playing with other children.

No comments:

Post a Comment