Monday, April 12, 2010

Parenting


The text describes four methods of parenting. According to Baumrind, they are authoritarian, authoritative, neglectful, and indulgent.

Authoritarian- A Restrictive, punitive style in which parents exhort the child to follow their directions and to respect work and effort. It places firm limits and controls on children and allows little verbal exchange and is associated with children's social incompetence.
Authoritative- A parenting style in which parents encourage their children to be independent but still place limits and controls on their actions. Extensive verbal give-and-take is allowed, and parents are warm and
nurturing toward the child. It is also associated with children's social competence.
Neglectful- A style of parenting in which the parent is very uninvolved in the child's life; it is associated with children's social incompetence, especially a lack of self-control.
Indulgent- is a style in which parents are highly involved with their children but place few demands or controls on them. They let their children do what they want and results with children unable to control their behavior.

While growing up, I was raised with Authoritative method. I had a freedoms and responsibilities. When I did something wrong, I also suffered consequences for the choices I made. I have also seen other forms of parenting and was glad my parents raised me the way they did. Seeing the results of neglectful or indulgent parenting made me appreciative of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment