Monday, April 12, 2010

Sibling Relationships and Birth Order


I remember growing up that my brothers loved to tease my sisters. This is actually something that my siblings and I laugh about now that we are older. The book states, "When siblings are in the presence of each other when they are 2 to 4 years of age, on average they have a conflict once every 10 minutes and then the conflicts go down somewhat from 5 to 7 years" (332). Children are focused on their own needs when they are at a younger age and when they do not have to toy that they will fight with their siblings. Parents can help with conflicts by intervening, threatening, and leave it alone. Siblings have a relationship that is characterized by both rivalry and positive interchanges. Siblings can learn a lot from each other that they can not learn from their parents. I learned a lot and gained some self confidence with my siblings. My sisters helped me do my hair and my brothers would play sports games with me. I remember my siblings and I would fight over who got to sit in the front set. My parents made a rule to try and make things fair. They made the rule that the oldest sat in the front. Being the youngest I never sat in the front, but it made me learn how to share. I think that being the oldest, youngest or only child changes the way that a child grows up. I think that children learn from their experiences in their placements in their family.

No comments:

Post a Comment